5.04.2009

Rebuilds for Windows 7 RC

I finished downloading the Windows 7 RC (32- and 64-bit) on Friday morning. I have had my office Media Center PC in and out of Frys Electronics for warranty repairs and all they have done is muck the machine up. I told them it was the Video Card, but they assure me it isn't. It still didn't work longer than 3 minutes before freezing up, so I decided to wipe the OS and load Win7. That didn't work either: after 3 minutes the video would go away. So, I downed the machine, yanked the Video card and replaced it with one I got on sale at NewEgg and wow! The machine is wonderful now and I love Windows 7 Media Center. I left this machine at 32-bit because it is my main iTunes host and I need to move Calibre over to it too for my Sony Reader PRS-700, which can only run on 32-bit.

I am going to retire WHENIM64, my very first machine that used 64-bit full time. It has had XP and Vista 64-bit OS's, but as a single core machine, I think it is time for it to go. My wife has given me an ultimatum on reducing the number of machines drawing power in my office. I will be moving everything to GAMES-V, and bumping that machine to Win7 64-bit, with 8 GB RAM.

On Saturday, I loaded Windows 7 RC on my S10, loading over the top of the existing Beta build. Everything went great, but I am having some permissions issues with the directories that I left there. Shold have worked, but I am not going to spend a whole year with a flaky machine, so I will be wiping it this afternoon, installing fresh, and then restoring from WHS backup the necessary directories.

Today is Pam's birthday and I have been working on her present: a pink S-10. I have bumped the RAM to 2 GB, installed a 500 GB drive with Win7. She also has the original 160 GB drive with the XP and the QuickStart Linux front-end. She can pick which she wants to keep.

No comments: