5.18.2009

Windows 7 RC vs. WHS PP2

I have installed on 3 machines the Windows 7 RC, as well as a Tablet PC that I have left (for the time being) at the Windows 7 Beta. Without exception, all four machines are exhibiting bizarre behavior  in regards to Windows Home Server (WHS) which has recently been upgraded to Power Pack 2. WHS Forum members assure me that I have introduced 'networking issues', which clearly cannot be the case as I am able to access shares and files from any of the machine to the WHS and the same in reverse. Further, each of the machines run the WHS Connector software just fine and backup daily, as long as the default backup works. Therein lies the rub!

If you attempt to actually use the Connector console either from any of the client machines or from the WHS to the client, nothing at all happens. Literally! Eventually, the client software will give a message that it is unable to connect to the WHS and if it was recently rebooted to wait just a little longer. From the WHS side, after several minutes a message appears saying that apparently the Client machine is offline. However, the same Connector software tray icon will instantly start a backup, open the Software shares on the WHS, etc. And, the other 5 machines running Vista work perfectly. If I dual boot any of these Windows 7 machines into Vista, they instantly connect. Keep in mind that through all this, I can still connect using Windows networking and copy and move files in either direction from and to any of these machine as well as to the Internet.

What is further interesting is the the WHS Forum is FULL of people experiencing the exact same issues. Any yet, they continue to insist that networking issues have been introduced and that machines that worked perfectly fine before the PP2 upgrade have somehow been changed. I am very frustrated but expect that eventually even the most obtuse will see that there is a systemic issue here that needs to be addressed. In the end, I have one machine that will not backup at all because I cannot configure and exclude one problem drive that I can't do away with as it contains my entire iTunes library. Here's hoping that I don't do something stupid to damage my only machine not backed up!

No comments: